Monday, October 13, 2014

EXPERIMENTAL KITCHEN : Bread



Bread is a staple food in most parts of the world and it is very easy to make. I have made my own bread in my kitchen and the part I like the most about baking my own bread is the smell of freshly baked bread.

I am going to share the recipe that I've used over and over to bake my own bread. Author unknown since it has been a couple of years since I stumbled upon this recipe.

Basic Bread

1 cup of warm water
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp yeast
3 tbsp oil
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
7-8 cups of flour


1. Add 1 cup of warm water into a mixing bowl then add 1 tbsp sugar and stir to dissolve.

2. Add the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes.


 The brand that I used

Letting it sit still, you'll see bubbles forming after a while

3. Add the oil, milk, salt and 2 tbsp of sugar. Mix well.

4. Add 3 cups of flour and then mix.

5. Add another 3 - 4 cups of flour and mix until the dough forms a good ball. At this stage, you add the flour bit by bit while mixing to make sure your don't put more flour than necessary. Not enough flour will make the dough too soft but too much will make it too hard.

6. Knead for 5 - 10 minutes. Roll into a ball and place at a warm place for 1 hour while covering with cloth or paper towel.

 The dough ball

The dough ball 1 hour later

7. Punch the dough and then leave for another 30 minutes.

After being punched

8. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts and let rest for 10 minutes. Knead it flat like a rectangular shape, with one side being roughly the shape of the bread pan.

9. Roll it and tuck both ends under to make a shape of a loaf.

10. Coat the bread pan with cornstarch and put the dough in and cover with cloth for another hour or until it has risen just to the top of the pan.

11. Bake for 30 minutes at 200C.


So there you have it. I have also incorporated raisins, chocolate powder and flavourings into my bread and they have all turned out quite good.

Give it a go and I hope you too will enjoy the smell of freshly baked bread. 

1 comment: