Friday, July 4, 2014

Organic Food

I do most of my grocery shopping online. 

I do top up shopping in the supermarket on a regular basis as well. 

On both occasions, I always find myself wondering about the quality of fruits and vegetables being sold in the supermarkets.

Before I go any further, let me just clarify that I buy fruits and vegetables from different types of shops. 

Regular or common types of vegetables such as cucumber, broccoli and carrots are readily available from the big supermarkets.

The less common or region-specific vegetables are usually available from smaller, specialty supermarkets.

I would visit these supermarkets at least once in a fortnight and it is where I get vegetables such as okras, bean sprouts, long/snake beans etc.

In all my visits to the supermarkets to get fresh food supplies, I would ponder if what I'm buying will be good or safe enough to be consumed by my family, especially with little kids at home. Are the fruits and veggies free from chemicals?

Source: Pixabay

I've come across fruits, vegetables and dairy products labeled as organic and I have read and heard many opinions and views about it. Across the board, there is only one thing that I know of organic food; they are definitely more expensive!

Is it really worth the extra money to pay for these organic products? Do they offer better nutrient content?

I always think that it is just a marketing term used to sell more stuff to the health conscious people. I don't consider myself as being a health junkie because I do eat junk food at times.  The reason why organic food is more expensive is because it costs more to produce it in the first place. 

Organic food by definition from Soil Association is food which is produced using environmentally and animal friendly farming methods on organic farms. So no chemicals used to control the pests and weeds, means more farm hands needed to care for the plants or animals, which in turn requires wages to be paid.

So why do people buy (and eat) organic food if it does cost more that the regular produce?

Growing up, I would follow my mum to the vegetable market on a regular basis. She would always say 'get the vegetables with holes on the leaves,you know if the pests have eaten them,then it should be safe for humans too'. 

I guess if you do decide to go organic it should be because you've done your research into the pros and cons. 

For the time being, I strongly believe that moderation is key.

If you eat three bowls of fat free/gluten free/sugar free etc of x type of food when you only need one bowl to nourish your body, that is not healthy eating at all.

Stay healthy everyone!

X

Citation:
Organic food. (2014, June 28). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 09:25, July 4, 2014, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Organic_food&oldid=614476461

What is Organic. In Soil Association. Retrieved 19:30, July 4, 2014, from http://www.soilassociation.org/whatisorganic


No comments:

Post a Comment